I need a therapist. Again.

by Runner Susan on December 2, 2008

in Leg Torture, Phobias, Weight Lifting

Yeah, I know – I do girl push-ups. So what?!? I hate push-ups. Hate them, hate them, and hate them. I’d eventually like to graduate to real push-ups, but I’ve got bigger fish to fry.

This damn sinus crap won’t go away. I finished the antibiotic (mostly) and I was feeling better, but the headaches that accompanied the previous infection have recently and mysteriously returned. I’m lucky like that.

And now I’m a little freaked out because we watched the news the other night and there was a segment about a lady who had surgery for a brain tumor. But during the surgery, when they went to remove the tumor, they pulled out a worm. A real, live, honest-to-God, seriously a worm. In her brain. And it was moving. And still alive. And it freaked me out. Seriously. And she got it from eating undercooked pork. But that was good for the lady – because apparently, brain worm is better than a brain tumor. Who knew? But it’s bad for Runner Susan because she has a worm (all bugs really) phobia and is a borderline hypochondriac.

So you see where this is going? Michael didn’t cook us a good old-fashioned turkey on Thanksgiving; he made a lovely citrus-marinated pork rib loin. And it was tasty, but now I’ve totally convinced myself I have brain worm. And every time my head hurts I think I can feel it moving. And eating my brain.

more leg torture from Runner Susan on Vimeo.

{ 23 comments… read them below or add one }

1 Monica C. December 2, 2008 at 1:25 pm

From one hypochondriac to another: your brain worm theory sounds totally logical to me!

2 psimet December 2, 2008 at 1:51 pm

Still laughing….in an eerie way. Waiting to feel brain worm wiggle. It could only make me smarter. “S M R T”

Seriously though there is a good possibility that you may have nasal polyps. I have been there (still there actually) and it could accoutn for everything you are experiencing…and is fairly common. Can usually be shrunk with steroids and controlled with nasal sprays (2+ years of that so far) or removed from sugury.

CAT scan revealed the extent of the sinus blockage and flooding – ewwww. Get a referral to see a ENT. GP’s, in the first couple of passes, will just medicate and move on thinking if something real is going on you’ll be back.

3 BettyBetty December 2, 2008 at 2:01 pm

ewwwwy – I just watched tales from the ER or something and they pulled an earthworm out of this ladies arm – of course she had a huge open wound that was all infected and gross and she was homeless a little unclean. Anyway, I avoid pork and all raw fish because of the worm thing. Just wondering why a worm would go to the brain from the stomach….that means…oh forget it

4 speedyscot December 2, 2008 at 2:50 pm

i was reading your post while eating my lunch. thanks. thanks a lot ;)

5 Tammy December 2, 2008 at 3:19 pm

I think that’s hilarious…not in a mean way, but in a “I know what you mean” kind of way…I had a bad cough one year when I was in nursing school that would not go away and I was convinced I had lung cancer….geez…

6 Edward December 2, 2008 at 3:39 pm

You know how people who laugh unexpectedly while drinking something sometimes blast the liquid through their nose? Yeah, well that just happened to me except I was eating a sucker. Now all I can smell is blue raspberry and I have a white stick sticking out of my nose.

I see your brain work and raise you one Blue Raspberry Dum Dum Nose.

7 Flatman December 2, 2008 at 4:38 pm

You know…a brain worm would explain alot! ;)

8 cindylouwho December 2, 2008 at 5:18 pm

Suz,
Brain worm or not those are some good lookin’ push-ups!

9 Anne December 2, 2008 at 5:43 pm

Does this mean you don’t drink that tequila with the worm in the bottom? That’s nasty stuff.

10 Rachel December 2, 2008 at 6:49 pm

I would suggest never watching the show “House” (to which I am now addicted)…you’ll find so many more illnesses to befall you.

11 Kevin December 2, 2008 at 9:24 pm

Sometimes I get an ear-worm, but that’s because a song plays over and over and over again in my head….

12 21stCenturyMom December 3, 2008 at 12:25 am

I’ll bet if they ever met your brain worm and my tape worm would be bestest of friends.

13 carrie December 3, 2008 at 1:15 am

Too funny.

As for the sinus infection – they often need multiple cycles of antibiotics to get rid of them completely. Been there.

14 Ewe the Dewd December 3, 2008 at 1:29 am

Toasty is now on the “undercooked pork” diet.

I agree with Cindy – those were good push-ups, even if girly. What’s the pad on the floor for? The dips were good at first… Squats were good.

Anyway, well done – you’re getting stronger!

15 Lisa December 3, 2008 at 10:04 am

A brain worm?

That’s just gross.

16 The Devil December 3, 2008 at 12:53 pm

You are a dork but I like you anyway…

17 Gloria December 3, 2008 at 3:09 pm

Hi Susan,

I work for Onlineshoes.com and we we will be running a contest/promotion on the newly designed New Balance 993 running shoes. The reason I am contacting you is to see if your blog would be interested in working with us on this promotion. Please contact me if it sounds like something you would be interested in.

Best,
Gloria

18 Juls December 3, 2008 at 5:26 pm

Thanks for the laugh Susan. If I didn’t *need* to see my therapist, I’d let you have my appointment slot…

but I have a mysterious headache today too. Now, you’ve go me wondering.

19 jeanne December 3, 2008 at 7:58 pm

what the hell kind of newscast are you watching??? i’m over here watching the newshour on pbs, like the big brainiac that i am. no worms of any kind on THAT show, i can tell you.

Please get in touch with gloria asap. she’s very interested in women with brain worms, who do girly pushups…

20 jeanne December 3, 2008 at 8:11 pm

just watched your video…and you wonder why you have a headache!

you are looking STRONG.

21 david December 3, 2008 at 9:15 pm

Gloria uses brain worms for laces. I am sure of it. I saw it on her web site.

22 suzee December 3, 2008 at 10:26 pm

You’re too funny.

Hey, you should come to epidemiology school with me. Things you never knew you never knew. After a while, you just stop stressing about any of it, and are damn glad to be alive today.

23 rae December 4, 2008 at 11:53 am

Yeah we heard about the worm. Watch what you eat, otherwise it mat eat you.

Leg torture from h–l!!!