Two amazing things happened today. One, for the first time in nearly two years, Cindy and I were able to get track video footage during the DAYLIGHT hours. A miracle, I know. The other amazing thing, is finally, since before Runner Susan’s Great Chicago Marathon Meltdown, I’ve become excited about running. And it’s about dang time.
It’s odd how things happen so randomly. I met Cindy and her friend Doug at the track to run bleachers and do a little speed work and we met an amazing lady, Marsha, who has run 39 marathons and qualified for Boston 10 times. That alone is pretty spectacular, but when you factor in she is 65 years young and is still vibrantly passionate about running marathons, it is completely inspiring. Earlier this year she ran a 2-hour half. She even joined us for a few of 100s on the track. I hope to run with her a few days a week and learn a few things. She is a rock star for sure.
A few things to note before watching these fabulously daylight videos:
- It’s been a long time since I’ve done a good track workout, but you’ll get to watch my progress now that summer is here and we can video during daylight hours.
- It was 95 freaking degrees outside (35C) and the heat was sucking the life out of me – I am so not ready for the heat. Why do I live in Texas?
- We are running about 80% intensity – most were 17 seconds and some change, a few 18 plus. AKA: slower than slow.
- In a few videos I’m wearing my Asics and in a few I’m wearing the Newtons. Sue me, they are so pretty and pink and I wanted to give the Newtons another try. I am considering them as Runner Susan’s official track shoe. You should send them a note and tell them how much faster my feet look. I’m indecisive on the whole shoe issue right now as Kenza has lost in the black hole that is her bedroom misplaced my current pair of running shoes.
- We did bleachers immediately before and during the track workout, not that you care – but I was tired. And hot. And stinking hot some more. And a little hormonal. And hot.
- Cindy’s friend Doug is really fast and he wouldn’t slow down to make me look good. That was not very nice of him. Note to self: next week tie Doug’s shoe laces together when he isn’t looking.
- And finally, these videos are not pretty – there is plenty of junk in my trunk (and front) – that’s just the way it is – so get over it and move on – it’s obvious I haven’t lifted weights for a few months. Note to self: Don’t be a loser.
- In case you didn’t catch the 4am Track Torture in the dark videos, you can see them here and here. You won’t be disappointed, it takes talent to do what we do.
I know you’ve missed Cindy’s sweet commentary, so without further ado: Track Torture you can actually see!