Facebook killed the blog star

by Runner Susan on July 14, 2009

in Childish Rants

Just so you know, Internet people, I’m not giving up the blog for Facebook. I update my blog, which updates Twitter, which updates Facebook – so if the blog goes it all goes. I do update Twittter and comment on FB, occasionally, but I’m going to be strict with myself on what I do best. And I give good blog so that’s what I’ll stick to.

That being said, that’s not why I’ve been lazy about blogging these past few months. It’s a whole variety of things, all of which contribute to what only appears to be laziness. And in concerted effort to maintain that form of laziness I’m going to bullet point them for you:

• Vacation in Napa
  • Thinking about vacation in Napa
  • Seriously considering moving to Napa
  • Because it’s beautiful and it’s not ever 200 million degrees outside
  • And time explaining to everyone that we are not crazy because it took 2 years of planning and 1 year of building for our dream home and now we want to move
  • It’s simple, if we sell our lovely and giant house in Texas, we can buy a very small house in Napa for the summer and one here for the school year
  • And when Kenza graduates from High School we move there FOREVER and never return to the blazes of hell called Texas
  • Of course, if we sell our house we could only buy the equivalent of a matchbox in California
  • And I totally get it now because of the glorious weather
  • But I like matchboxes, so it’s all good
  • That’s our plan and we’re sticking to it
  • Then there was a trip to Indiana
  • A trip that involved me using a blowtorch and hauling around a bunch of concrete to repair my parent’s indoor plumbing and broken up patio
  • Bathing outdoors in the old above ground Esther Williams pool is anything but fun, and that’s all I’ll say about that
  • Because if that trip was anything, it wasn’t a vacation – it was labor camp for the weary that involved driving 2,000 miles
  • Then I had a nervous breakdown and started to purge everything I own to mini-me myself for a smaller house or two
  • Pretty much if it wasn’t nailed down it was getting thrown away
  • Coming back to the heat has taken a little adjusting
  • Because it’s so stupid hot
  • And I don’t like hot
  • Or cold
  • I’m a delicate flower like that
  • Sensitive in the ways of all things wilting or freezing
  • I can’t help it
  • It gets hot and stays hot 24 hours a day in Texas. And when it isn’t hot, it’s negative zero.
  • It’s true; I don’t make these things up.
  • And I’ve been having really horrible hot flashes and hormone related migraines.
  • Those are no fun either
  • Anyhow, this past Sunday I ran with Marsha for 9 miles at a 10:33 pace in the freaking depths of hell called Texas
  • And then Monday I rode for 1.5 hours with T and it was hot
  • And then today T, Marsha and I ran 7.5 miles and a good portion of that was hill repeats
  • Ghastly, horrible, awful, awful, awful hill repeats. In the depths of hot hell
  • Then after the rotten hill repeats, T and I rode for 1 hour and by then I was pretty much goo from being melted by the blazing hot hot hell sun
  • Then I today I traded in my ginormous SUV for a petite wagon. A cute one, too.
  • I gave them my SUV and they gave me a new car and a check for the difference.
  • Seriously, I didn’t know that was possible.
  • And if there is anything I hate doing more than wielding a blow torch in a bathroom the size of a pea, it’s car shopping – but car shopping with a return made it a little better
  • But it’s over and now I drive all over San Francisco in my tiny, cute little car
  • The car that’s more gas-friendly than a tank
  • And I’m in the process of moving offices and my stuff is split between the two rooms
  • And it’s all over the place and I’m on the verge of a mental breakdown
  • And that’s all I have to say about that
  • But tomorrow both the offices will be completely finished
  • Or I’ll just be a total basket case for the rest of my hot life

So if I may, I’ll leave you with a photo from my Indiana trip. It’s the small things in life that matter, Internet People. Small things like indoor plumbing.

Outdoorplumbing

{ 16 comments… read them below or add one }

1 Juls July 14, 2009 at 6:38 pm

Oh Susan. You do make me smile, and laugh, and be oh so glad that I live in California — where it is 100+ degrees today. And, I ran at lunch because that’s when I have time to do it. I can only imagine how hot it is where you are.

2 IHateToast July 14, 2009 at 6:38 pm

And are you trimming yourself with a Stihl? You are roughing it.

3 21stCenturyMom July 14, 2009 at 6:43 pm

and I have a box to open. Your purge = my bloat and I’m so in need of bloating. I have a matchbox house in California and I need to build a new closet – a Runner Susan closet. Poor me.

Your Indiana vacation makes me feel lazy and unadventurous. I have heavy maintenance work to do and I just look at it and think “I can’t do THAT!” but now I don’t think I can say that any more.

4 BettyBetty July 14, 2009 at 6:57 pm

Okay now I am really tired. I need some Nutella.
I am so curious about the car you got??

5 Jennifer P July 14, 2009 at 6:57 pm

Facebook told me were are supposed to be friends. I thought that was weird and wonder if Facebook stalks me.

I think of your depths of hell and compare it to our winter depths of hell. I’d trade yours for mine anyday. But Cali would suit me just fine.

6 Monica C. July 14, 2009 at 8:08 pm

I agree 100% with this:

Because it’s so stupid hot
And I don’t like hot
Or cold
I’m a delicate flower like that
Sensitive in the ways of all things wilting or freezing
I can’t help it
It’s true; I don’t make these things up.

I hate running in the heat and I hate running in the cold as well! And yes, I can picture you loving Napa, and yes, a summer home is great! – but not year-round. You would die in a little teeny tiny house. I am from the Bay Area (Berkeley), and have been in TX for 11 years. No WAY would I move back to California – Too Expensive/Overpriced. Too Many Earthquakes (never thought twice about them until I lived through the 1989 earthquake). Too Much Traffic. Too Many Lines Everywhere. Too Many Cold Nights (it’s always cold at night, even if it’s 90 degrees during the day). And People Look At You Like You’re Crazy If You Ask For Bacon Bits On Your Baked Potato.

7 psimet July 14, 2009 at 9:50 pm

Don’t go live with the overpaying hippies.

BTW – that toilet is doing wonders for the plants.

8 mia July 14, 2009 at 10:24 pm

I hope you brought that toilet home. It would look fabulous in your new backyard. I wonder if Rowdy would find it as disturbing as the sacrificial slab?

9 Astro July 14, 2009 at 11:10 pm

LOL – bullet spoints are awesome. Napa is beautiful but Icouldn’t live there. Good like if you decide to split time.

10 Astro July 14, 2009 at 11:12 pm

LOL – bullet spoints are awesome. Napa is beautiful but I couldn’t live there. Good like if you decide to split time. That’s why I like central Illinois – the weather is always changing.

11 Anne July 15, 2009 at 8:03 am

And don’t forget, you’ll pay a king’s ransom in taxes on that Napa matchbox and cute little station wagon (which also costs you more to fuel up in CA). And if you pay too much in taxes, instead of getting a check for a refund, the state will send you an IOU that says we’re good for it in October. Maybe.

12 psimet July 15, 2009 at 4:32 pm

….hippies…..hippies I tell ya!

13 David July 15, 2009 at 10:38 pm

It’s this simple: move to France where the Chef can ride his bike everywhere and you can drink exquisite wine all day and night.

14 Ewe the Dewd July 16, 2009 at 4:12 am

I like David’s France suggestion – if only France wasn’t full of Frenchmen.

The petite SUV will suit the matchbox. And the matchbox will suit the purged shoe collection. Another plus – Napa is close to SF, and SF has direct flights to Australia!

Good to hear you’re a child of the blog generation Susan.

15 The Devil July 16, 2009 at 2:15 pm

I am such a sucky commenter… You know that if you go to SF that I will come to visit…quite often…daily…live in a shed out back…mow your lawn…

16 jeanne July 17, 2009 at 8:09 am

it all sounds good to me! much applause. embrace the small! next step is giving up the car altogether! That’s my goal.

did i see combos in your pantry??