2011 Cowtown Marathon

by Runner Susan on March 3, 2011

in Marathons,Race Reports,Running

The first marathon I’ve run since Chicago 2008. I can’t believe so many years have gone by since I’ve run a marathon. I was on a roll for a while – 1-2 marathons per year since 2004. Then I crapped out.

This was probably the toughest marathon I’ve ever run.  It was hilly, humid, hot and windy. All my favorite things combined into one blissful marathon day. Of course, I’m sure not training and being 20 pounds overweight had a little to do with the agony. But I finished, and I was so happy that I ran a marathon I didn’t even care that it took me 5 hours and 49 minutes. There is a lot to be said for being in constant motion for that long. My favorite spectator sign during the race: “That isn’t sweat, it’s your fat cells crying.”

Mr. Thin Trade was kind enough to travel to Fort Worth and run the world’s slowest marathon with me. He would have run much faster if he had run his own race, but he was kind and stuck with me. And I’m glad he did – because my secret plan was to bail at the half.

The first half of the marathon was slow, but I felt really good. I felt even better at mile 16.5 when we approached a kind spectator’s smorgasbord of bananas, power bars, fruit snacks and beer. I often see people handing out beer to runners along the course, but this was the first time I actually partook – and I have to say, that was the most refreshing beer I’ve ever had. And I enjoyed another somewhere around the 20-mile range as well. It kept me going until the end. Proof:

This was the first marathon I’ve ever run that I didn’t end up with chafing all over my body. I’m attributing this to the near full stick of body glide I applied that morning. The only place I missed gliding I ended up with a mighty blood blister. And, oddly, I didn’t even know I had it until I took my shoes off when we got home.

Of course, you know what is coming up now. Pretty, eh?

The finisher shirt and medal were pretty cool too. I think the medal might also be a weapon?!?

But it wasn’t all running. There were plenty of social excursions over the weekend. The Modern, The Kimball, The Japanese Botanical Gardens, The 6th Floor Museum, the wine, the beer, the food and my pyromaniac Chef’s campfire. A full and fun weekend.

Half’s are great, but nothing compares to the feeling of finishing 26.2 miles. I’d do it all again, I miss marathons. But I think I’d like to put in a few more miles of training before I do.

{ 18 comments… read them below or add one }

1 Kevin March 3, 2011 at 2:17 pm

You drank beer? Awesome. Cool shirt.
Kevin´s last blog post ..Lifes answers arent always detailed in the instructions

2 petra March 3, 2011 at 2:53 pm

When I ran Chicago 2008 – hey did we both run that? NO WAY! DID WE? I’m trying to think when it was but it was 2008. Sheesh – I didn’t know you then. Anyway what I was going to say was that I went SO slow there that I drank the beer. It was manna from heaven.
petra´s last blog post ..Back in action

3 David March 3, 2011 at 3:03 pm

The Cowtown – Absolutely, the most satisfying lousy race I’ve ever run.
Why? – Runner Susan and all the reasons listed above.

4 Julie March 3, 2011 at 3:46 pm

Another fine finish Susan! Good job. I hadn’t realized it’s been a few years since you’ve run one. You’re all set for Ironman now ;)

5 Jon (was) in Michigan March 3, 2011 at 4:07 pm

Congrats on another one, Susan! I love the medal.

And thank you for not making a video of lancing that blister. Nasty.
Jon (was) in Michigan´s last blog post ..now I really have 12 miles

6 Juls March 3, 2011 at 4:59 pm

Another marathon. That’s awesome.

I completely agree with you on your point of the satisfaction of running the full 26.2 miles compared to a half marathon. Congratulations, Suz!

7 Astro March 3, 2011 at 7:42 pm

Awesome blister. And unlike Jon, I think an educational lancing of the blister video should have been shown.

8 Jackie March 4, 2011 at 8:34 am

Better you than me……cool t-shirt tho

9 mia March 4, 2011 at 9:52 am

Susan. That blister! Ugh. I think pansies who run a marathon in 3 and 1/2 hours have NO IDEA what it takes to keep your body in motion for almost 6 hours. Love the shirt!

10 Ewe the Dewd March 5, 2011 at 2:41 am

Good on you Susan! I’m amazed it’s been so long between marathons. Great shirt. And you can use the medal for slashing the tyres of gas drillers.
Ewe the Dewd´s last blog post ..Running for a Sheep Station

11 Anne March 5, 2011 at 10:26 am

Glad to see you’re back on the wagon! That blister is something. I’m no longer complaining about my tender toes after seeing that one. Hooray to David for helping you along too.
Anne´s last blog post ..Ive Been 0wned!

12 akaAlice March 5, 2011 at 6:42 pm

Hey Girl!
1. OW!
2. Beer during a marathon sounds like the ONLY way to run one :-)
3. The medal looks a little Captain Kirk-ish to me :-))

13 Denise "MNFirefly" March 7, 2011 at 2:44 pm

That blister just looks NASTY! Nice finish time! I also noticed that you used one of my comment quote in reference to the medal. ;)
Denise “MNFirefly”´s last blog post ..Knee Surgery Take 2-Snowacololpse 2011

14 elizabeth burns March 7, 2011 at 7:22 pm

Hi Susan-
I haven’t checked your blog is so long. It’s always fun when I do. You are a very talented writer.
E

15 txrunnermom March 8, 2011 at 3:47 pm

Way to go on that marathon! I heard that the conditions were brutal and I think you deserve an extra medal for that reason alone. BTW, I think of you everytime I see an ANGA commercial!
txrunnermom´s last blog post ..Rest Day

16 Rinus March 8, 2011 at 7:10 pm

“And in case you are wondering, running a marathon is a lot easier than fighting gas.”

Right, so you are very well capable to run a marathon and you’re strong.
A marathon is like a woman, you need to know her and her patience, and certainly not angry because then you get hurt again.
If you understand the marathon, there is really nothing.
And I always say, slow and fast makes you can do it.

17 Rich March 21, 2011 at 10:41 pm

It was good to see you and David at the start. I heard there was a logjam at the food tent after the half, but by the time I got there all they had was ice cream, and no line.

Every day since that day, I’ve woken up thinking … today is a perfectly nice, cool, crisp, dry, wind-less morning for running a marathon. We was robbed.

18 Peggy March 22, 2011 at 2:04 pm

Body glide.

You know about all the cool stuff.